Birthdays used to be simple. Cake, ice cream, roller skates, disco. They were celebrations of youth, of hope, of dreams. We gaze through starry-eyes at someday. Then it arrives. THE FUTURE.
Another year passes and we grow more introspective about our short blip of time on this earth. You should know, I love birthdays and I get the fact that time moves no matter what. It etches lines into our bodies and characters and whether we try to freeze it in pictures or words or movies, it’s unbeatable.
It’s my birthday and instead of baking a lemon cake (obviously, a favorite), making homemade ice cream, or mixing both in a lemon cake ice cream tour de force, I came up with this birthday mix. I can’t help but want to make this and every other day count. To get in and celebrate, with or without cake or cake flavored ice cream. It’s hard to always remember this, but I want to try. So, I’m going to listen to this mix David and I collaborated on and jump in mud puddles and get in the car and drive.
birthday mix (may 2012) track list
1. Don’t Change by INXS
2. Skankin’ to the Beat by Fishbone
3. Prove My Love by Violent Femmes
4. Get Lost by Tom Waits
5. I Love You Mary Jane by Cypress Hill & Sonic Youth
6. Television Man by Man Or Astro-man?
7. Sure Shot by The Beastie Boys
8. Too Alive by The Breeders
9. Art Star by Yeah Yeah Yeahs
10. Crush by Sleigh Bells
11. Revolution by Dr. John
12. Sixteen Saltines by Jack White
13. Do It! (featuring Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band) by The Flaming Lips
14. Pull A U by The Kills
15. The Pier by Dirty Three
16. This Time Tomorrow by The Kinks
17. The Sky Lit Up by PJ Harvey
18. I Don’t Wanna Hear Another Sound (Bonus Track) by Norah Jones
19. Hotel California by Gipsy Kings