birthday mix

Birthdays used to be simple. Cake, ice cream, roller skates, disco. They were celebrations of youth, of hope, of dreams. We gaze through starry-eyes at someday. Then it arrives. THE FUTURE.

52 weeks in film—week 16 outtake:picnic table

Another year passes and we grow more introspective about our short blip of time on this earth. You should know, I love birthdays and I get the fact that time moves no matter what. It etches lines into our bodies and characters and whether we try to freeze it in pictures or words or movies, it’s unbeatable.

It’s my birthday and instead of baking a lemon cake (obviously, a favorite), making homemade ice cream, or mixing both in a lemon cake ice cream tour de force, I came up with this birthday mix. I can’t help but want to make this and every other day count. To get in and celebrate, with or without cake or cake flavored ice cream. It’s hard to always remember this, but I want to try. So, I’m going to listen to this mix David and I collaborated on and jump in mud puddles and get in the car and drive.

Somewhere.

birthday mix from artandlemons on 8tracks.

birthday mix (may 2012) track list

1. Don’t Change by INXS
2. Skankin’ to the Beat by Fishbone
3. Prove My Love by Violent Femmes
4. Get Lost by Tom Waits
5. I Love You Mary Jane by Cypress Hill & Sonic Youth
6. Television Man by Man Or Astro-man?
7. Sure Shot by The Beastie Boys
8. Too Alive by The Breeders
9. Art Star by Yeah Yeah Yeahs
10. Crush by Sleigh Bells
11. Revolution by Dr. John
12. Sixteen Saltines by Jack White
13. Do It! (featuring Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band) by The Flaming Lips
14. Pull A U by The Kills
15. The Pier by Dirty Three
16. This Time Tomorrow by The Kinks
17. The Sky Lit Up by PJ Harvey
18. I Don’t Wanna Hear Another Sound (Bonus Track) by Norah Jones
19. Hotel California by Gipsy Kings

Comments

1. A lovely mix! Yes, time passes by fast and our time is limited… ;-P

Happy Birthday!

Cheers,

Rosa

2. happy birthday. :) love your selections here.

3. Happy Birthday Nikki! I hope you have a wonderful day.

• ArtandLemons says:

Thanks, Jess. We ended up at the movies, Jiro Dreams of Sushi which I recommend, and then out for Mexican food. Truly inspiring to see that the highest regarded sushi chef still has passion and respect for his craft even at 85.

4. happiest of days to you! :)

5. Happy birthday! I usually make my own birthday cake, ha ha, but this is much better. How about the Beatles: ‘They Say It’s Your Birthday’? Have a happy day.

• ArtandLemons says:

Sally, Honestly, it was difficult not to bake a cake. I had a chocolate cupcake from a coffee shop instead and it was so disappointing. Yes, the birthday Beatles song should be on the list, it’s a good one!

6. What a seriously excellent mix! Happy Birthday…I hope we get to hang out again soon.

7. Happy Birthday Nikki! I love your reflections here; I’ve been mulling over all of this so much lately. And I love the idea of a mix {I’m an obsessive mix-maker}.

• ArtandLemons says:

Sarah, It’s been on my mind as well. I keep thinking about being present and fully living, now and now and…oh, I really want to listen to some of your mixes.

8. You’ve summed up that transition in life so well. The Beastie Boys track is particularly poignant this week. Wishing you a very Happy Birthday – I think you should make that lemon cake as well.
    Forwarding your mix to KP as lots of his favourites on there (The Flaming Lips). No puddles here so will have to head to the sea for water immersion!

• ArtandLemons says:

Thanks, Sally. I know, it’s sad and I felt like I had to add the Beastie Boys track in honor of MCA. I think I should make the cake too, maybe for Mother’s Day. Hope KP enjoys the mix and I’d say the sea should definitely be jumped in.

9. Happy birthday! I can’t imagine celebrating without cake, but would happily listen to this soundtrack while munching on it :-) Great tracks!

• ArtandLemons says:

thelittleloaf, I know. I regret not having made cake, but I did have an excellent margarita with tacos instead…

10. I haven’t heard Don’t Change in years….thank you! And happy birthday, from a fellow Taurus :)

11. A few days late, but I hope your birthday was full of wonder and joy leading up to a year to capture the moments and relish the time.

• ArtandLemons says:

Thanks for the birthday wishes, Anneliesz! I’m of the firm belief that we should have week-long celebrations, so you’re right on time.

12. In the ‘better late than never department’…Happy Belated Birthday!! I hope you still got some lemon cake…maybe for Mother’s Day?

• ArtandLemons says:

Thanks, Mary. Still without cake but Luke’s birthday is this weekend so plenty of cake to be had (chocolate chocolate and strawberry). A belated Happy Mother’s Day to you.

13. We have very similar music tastes! I saw Cypress Hill and Sonic Youth perform I <3 You Mary Jane at Lollapallooza a million years ago. :)

• ArtandLemons says:

Jax, That would have been a great show, lucky you! We should trade playlists…I know, Lollapalooza was so long ago…I saw Morhpine, Beck, & Neil Young back in the day.

Let me know you stopped by